Here is a list of 7 things we thought were interesting, and think you should know, about Americans, and their waste and recycling habits. What one surprises/shocks you the most?
- American’s throw away about 3 pounds of garbage every day!
- If you stacked all of the aluminum cans recycled in 2010 they would be 1,454 times taller than the Empire State Building, or if you laid them out they would circle the earth 169 times!
- A glass container can go from a recycling bin to a store shelf in as few as 30 days – and many glass container manufacturers use up to 70% recycled glass when making a new product
- If every American recycled just one-tenth of their newspapers, we could save about 25 million trees each year.
- In 2009, the plastic bottle recycling rate reached a record high of 2.5 billion pounds, or 28% of all plastic bottles consumed in the United States.
- Each year, more steel is recycled than aluminum, paper, glass and plastic combined.
- Motor oil never wears out, it just gets dirty. Oil can be recycled, re-refined and used again, reducing our reliance on imported oil.
Wondering where we found out all this information, or want to find out more about American’s recycling habits? Check out these interesting and informative websites:
And don’t forget to keep the conversation going about recycling on Twitter using #werecycle @westsideenviro!